Have I told you I love pesto? Fresh ingredients and CHEESE…what’s not to like? My basil did well this year and I’ve enjoyed a few batches of this tasty delight. This year I tried a recipe from Iowa Girl Eats blog. After all, a recipe originating from a cook in my home state of Iowa gets my attention. I like her recipe because it’s small in proportions but you can double, triple, etc. based on your desired volume.
25-28 fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove
salt & pepper to salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper in the food processor.
- Pulse until finely ground.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil and pulse until smooth.
Adapted from Pesto by Iowa Girl Eats
Udi’s GF pizza crust (or precooked crust of your liking)
Thinly sliced zucchini
Slow roast tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes
Turkey or chicken (or omit for vegetarian pizza)
Shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or Mozzarella)
- Layer the ingredients on the pizza crust in the order given.
- Bake per crust instructions until pizza is hot, cheese is melted. YUMMMMM.
PESTO CAPRESE SALAD
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Fresh sliced buffalo mozzarella
salt & pepper
- Layer in order above and enjoy!